Saturday, September 15, 2012

My apologies for not blogging in such a long time! The last time I blogged was when I was just getting to Dubrovnik (2 weeks ago!) I'm sorry that my blog is called Croatian Chronicles and this is the first time I'm writing from Croatia. I'll recap these two weeks the best I can. 

Kaylee and I flew from Zagreb to Dubrovnik. It was a very short, or at least it seemed like it. We don't really have the best judgement on flight times because the last  flights we were on were something like 7 or 8 hours. So this one seemed very very short. Once we got to the airport, our student mentor, Sara, met us and took us back to where we're staying while we're here. All we had was our backpacks and a purse and she was shocked because everyone else had two large suitcases. We had to admit we shipped more things to the school, we didn't pack that light. When we met our landlord, Drazenka. She actually works at the school as an academic advisor. Our apartment has a gorgeous view! It is far up on the hill above town, so it's quite a hike to get home. It takes about 25 minutes (20 if Kaylee is leading, she walks fast!) to walk to school, and there are about 5 (maybe more, I lose count because I get sweaty and tired and can't concentrate) long, windy staircases. I'm ok with the long walk and stairs though. The way I see it, I was inevitably going to gain weight while I was here. I mean what else are you supposed to do in a new country/culture but try new foods?? So instead of gaining the 20 pounds I was expecting, I will only gain about 5 max! The other 15 will be negated by the stairs, it's perfect! 

This is the view from our apartment:


Our terrace:

 Front door:

Foyer:

 Living room:

My room:

 Closet with both our clothes:

 Kaylee's room:

 Bathroom:


 Kitchen:

You may have noticed that Kaylee's room has two twin beds, and mine has one queen size bed. How did I manage that?  Well we decided hat it's only fair if we switch halfway through the quarter. So in October I will be getting the smaller bed :( 

There are 14 study abroad students. Only 4 of us are staying all quarter (Kaylee, Emily, Dylan, and myself).  The other 10 are premed students. They are taking 10 weeks of class in 5 weeks, then going up to Rijeka (I think) and Zagreb. They'l be doing some hospital rotations there. So they don't take class with the other Croatian students like the 4 of us do. 

I've done a lot of exploring the past two weeks. In between my exploration sessions and homework, Kaylee and I started watching Mad Men, and it is soooo addicting

THe first weekend we were here we went to Lokrum. It's an island off the coast, and it's a 15 minute ferry ride to get there. and we went cliff jumping! It was so much fun! (Don't worry Mom, it wasn't too high, it was only like 7-8 meters) 

Kaylee:

 On top of where we jumped:

Look at me go:

 I'm pretty sure this is Kaylee:


 We also went to Old Town and walked along the city's walls. It was absolutely stunning!

















In case you aren't good at using context clues, the girl on the right is Emily:





My computer is still out on sick leave right now. I swiped Kaylee's computer and used it to upload my photos. Let's be honest, my blog is like a million times better with pictures. I'm not exactly the most eloquent person in the world. 

Perhaps I will write a new post sooner than two weeks from now. We'll see how much work I have to do. And by work I mean watching Mad Men. 

PS: If I think of anything else noteworthy that happened in the past two weeks I'll let you know. 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting again. Love to see and hear what you are doing! Can you post some of the things you did in Bled, Slovenia? Did you ever get your canyoning pictures developed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mother wondered why you took pictures of your bedrooms without making your beds first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom knows I never make my bed! But I haven't gotten those pictures developed. Whenever I can I'll borrow kaylee's computer again so I can upload some bled pictures. We have some videos from canyoning, the guide had a camera and we splurged the extra 10 euros to get them on a CD

      Delete
  3. I am just surprised your room appears to be cleaner than your roommates, You two are perfect for each other ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha she just hadn't unpacked all her stuff and put everything away yet. its cleaner now, i'm the messier one. all is right with the world.

      Delete