Monday, November 5, 2012

Zagreb - All Saints Day

This past weekend we went to Zagreb. It was All Saints Day (Day of Souls or Day of the Dead, it has a few different names, but in Croatian it is Dan svih svetih). The tradition is to go to cemeteries and put candles/flowers on graves of family and friends who have passed away.

We went to Mirogoj Cemetery. It was amazing, there were so many candles. You would think something like this would be a somber event, but it wasn't. It was a really happy and joyous occasion. It was celebrating the lives of loved ones, not mourning and being sad that they're gone. I really wish we had something like this in the US. 

*Please ignore some of the quality of these photos, I forgot my flash (its an attachment on my camera, it isn't built in)
*Also please ignore the sideways photos, I can't figure out how to rotate them. Just turn your head or your computer, whatever's easiest.



 











1 comment:

  1. What an amazing sight! There's such emotion through your pictures...I bet it's tenfold seeing it in person. I agree that we should have a day like this in the US!

    ReplyDelete