Friday, August 24, 2012

We finally made it to Ljubljana after what has to be the worlds longest and hottest train ride. Unfortunately there was no high speed train that goes from Budapest to Ljubljana, so we took a train that stops pretty much every place along the way. It was so hot, we had the windows open but even the breeze couldn't cool us off. We both had our giant 1.5 liter water bottles and I had to ration my water so I had enough for the whole train ride! (we got the water all week in Budapest for 119 forints, which is about 54 cents, best deal ever). 

While the train was still in Hungary the scenery wasn't that great, pretty much just flat farmland and maybe a house or two. 

Once we got an hour or two into Slovenia the scenery was much prettier, things like mountains in the distance and forests. But of course it was starting to get dark when we hit the nice scenery.

Let me back track for a minute so you can hear about our food situation. We weren't super hungry (I accidentally spelled that Hungary a few times before I got it right...) before we got on the train. So we got on the train and then around and hour and a half into it we both get pretty hungry. So we walk through the cars to see if they had food. Nope. Kaylee had a granola bar and some almonds in her bag and I had a Nutella to-go snack thing (some nutella and little cracker sticks). So we split a granola bar for lunch, had some almonds as a snack, and nutella snack for dinner. So if we didn't die from dehydration we were going to die of hunger. 

But we finally made it to Ljubljana, and the directions we got from the hostel aren't very clear. They were for a bus or for walking and we couldn't find buses anywhere. And we didn't find the street when we walked out of the train station either. Luckily, I just figured how to turn on my 3G today and I google mapped it to the Hostel (and I used about 18% of my monthly data allowance doing it)

Once we put all our stuff in the Hostel we trekked over to a bakery (it was the only thing open) and got ourselves some pastries to get something in our stomachs.

While walking around we saw a lot of people. It seems like cool place and I'm excited to explore it some more tomorrow!

(No pictures today, the train ride was a good photo op...)

No comments:

Post a Comment