Tuesday, August 21, 2012

We went to Széchenyi Thermal Bath today. It was amazing! There were so many different pools, both indoor and outdoor. They were so warm, when the water comes out of the ground its about 170 degrees Fahrenheit, so they have to cool it down so people can get in and swim. The Széchenyi baths are the most famous, even though Budapest has a lot of them. And since it's a spa, obviously we had to splurge and get a massage to go with the medicinal bath!




After we relaxed an were pampered at the baths in the morning, we went on a bike tour of the city. I made a reservation with the tour company yesterday and it said to meet them at some church steps and we'll walk to the place with the bikes together because it's hard to find. When we get there we figured there would be more people, but it was just Kaylee and myself. As we were walking to the place with the bikes, I am getting slightly concerned because we turn into an alley way of sorts. We look at each other and we both have wide eyes. Kaylee whispers to me, "Fight or flight". But once we get our bikes everything is fine. Well, until the tour guide (who is young, cute, and very nice, just shy and I don't think shyness is a good quality in a tour guide) weaves in and out of people on the sidewalks, rides over big bumps, and speeds across intersections. We stop every so often and he would tell us about some buildings, like who built them, when and why they were built, and some cool little factoids about them. All is well until we're on a crowded sidewalk and Kaylee runs into a pedestrian. She tried to get out of the way, but he was oblivious and they collided (the tour guide was also oblivious). Everything was fine again for a while until I got lost. We were going trough a very narrow section of sidewalk. Half was blocked off so two people walking side by side could go through, but only one bike at a time. The tour guide and Kaylee make it through, but when I try to go,  stroller cuts me off so I'm stuck and have to back up. (Stroller people tend to be very impatient everywhere, and I'm sure Dad can attest to that). I looked away from Kaylee and the tour guide to move for the stroller and when I looked up they were no where in sight! I was panicking inside, I thought I was going to be lost in Budapest. I was so happy I at least put my moms packet of papers in my bag in the morning, because that has the address to the hostel on it. I ride a little further and still can't see them so I'm starting to panic a little more. I rode up a little further still and finally I saw Kaylee and I was the most relieved I've been my whole life. I wasn't lost in Hungary!!


Despite the mishaps with the bike tour, we still had fun. It was fun to see the city that way, I felt more like someone who lived there than if we would have done something like a segway tour.

(Sorry for no pictures, it was hard to take pictures on the bike and I didn't want my camera to get wet at the baths!!)

5 comments:

  1. Did Kaylee's stomach handle the Kürtöskalács?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She got a little stomach ache afterwards, but it wasn't as bad as she was expecting. So it was worth it

      Delete
  2. You'r right. Strollers are the worst. They clog up everything, and the people pushing them coul;dn't care less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like such an awesome day...despite getting lost! I'm really enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete